Sunday, February 8, 2009

Hi

I am a Father of 3 & Grampy of 10.

I am a Genealogy buff. My wife, Son and I are Bus Drivers.

We have been Married for 38 years.

When I was a kid I mowed the neighbor's yard & weeded for $2.50 for each task. That was a lot of money for a kid back then. I did this for him from time to time, but not every week. In 1962 when I was 15 years old the same neighbor asked me if I would like to work for him that summer. I said Yes I would like to work for him. He was a electrician, so on Friday the next day I went with him to the office where he worked. He took me down to a ware- house basement and I put tape on conduit pipe that turned slowly with help of a pipe turning machine. I did quite a few that day. Not all that bad for $2.50 an hour. I was rich!! A gold mine, right? When I finished work that day he took me home. I asked my dad if I could go to the movies that night now that I had a job. My dad asked if I had to work the next day. I told him yes, that I did. He said, "No, not if you have to work." I went to the neighbor and I told him what my dad said and that I wanted to go to the movies. I asked for Saturday off. He fired me!!!! I did not see it coming, what a shock!! I learned that you do not get something for nothing no mater how important you think you are . You can be replaced in a heart beat. You must work hard to keep your job to reap the rewards. What have you learned the hard way?

Bud

6 comments:

  1. Hi Dad!

    Wow! You did it, your first post. Nice picture by the way. You both look so... young. And so skinny!

    I have learned a lot of things the hard way. I don't think I've ever listened to anyone and it has not paid off. I try to tell my kids to learn from other people's mistakes so that they don't have to make them.

    I just had Elijah read your post.

    Your fave daughter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops, I just realized that I posted as Serenity, I hope you know that was me!

    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm. Well, I've probably learned a million and one things the hard way, but one thing that really got me was realizing that the yeast actually had to disintegrate before I mixed it in with the bread dough. I swear I attempted to make homemade pizza three or four time before I realized what I was doing wrong! I'm glad I kept trying, though, because now it's everyone's favorite dinner. :)

    You've got a great start on your blog, Grampy! Good work! I can't wait to see what you write about next. :)

    Serenity (The REAL Serenity!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks to you for your help!!!
    I like your feed back from both of you.

    Grampy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your welcome. Love you, Gramy. :)

    Seren (Really, yes, it's me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That guy was a jerk! It was his loss. Wanting a day off is fine. Asking for it is fine. Getting refused is fine. Getting fired for asking? Ridiculous!
    Today kids lie when they want a day off, and there is no penalty. You were punished for being honest!
    One should never take a job for granted and be thankful, but one should alos not be taken advantage of. I've had good employers and I've had bad, I'll take the good ones any day, the bad ones aren't worth it!
    Randy

    ReplyDelete